- When you combine bleach with certain mycotoxins and VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds), it will create neurotoxins.
Chlorine bleach has been classified as a hazardous chemical. It contains 5.25% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) and water. It is way too dangerous for common use in homes yet you see all of the “Fluffy” commercials about a certain “brand” of bleach that Moms should wash all their laundry with. This is probably the worst case of dangerous marketing our society has ever seen.
OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) is a federal agency that gives strong warnings against recommending the use of liquid Bleach for mold remediation or even cleaning any kind of mold/mildew and most recently, The EPA has since edited their “A brief guide to mold and moisture and your home” so that it now excludes their previously stated use of bleach as a remedy to kill mold. If these ruling agencies are making strong statements and retracting from previous advice given that tells us that they have used government money to fund some pretty extensive laboratory studies. Let these studies be a warning to us all. NOT to use bleach around toxic mold.
- It does not kill toxic mold but actually “grows mold” at a more rapid rate after application
Chlorine Bleach is designed to “rinse” or “wash away” bacterias, viruses and fungi on “non-porous” surfaces. (glass, metal, porcelain) Chlorine Bleach is “NOT” designed to “soak into”. Mold spores are like trees in that they spread their roots deep into porous surfaces or porous items. (wood, wallboard, carpet, fabric, paper, bedding etc…)
Bleach is made of 99% water. The chlorine stays on the surface and the rest of the 99% of the water goes into the porous holes and “waters” the toxic mold. THIS is what “fuels” the mold to return. The toxic mold will grow at a much faster rate now that you have essentially “fed” it. Remember, molds love moisture.
The surface may look very clean because you’ve “bleached” it and not killed the spores. The water then gets into the roots via the porous material and the roots grow deeper, stronger and will return worse than ever before.
- Instead To kill mold: Use white distilled vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle without watering it down. Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour. Finally, wipe the area clean with water and allow the surface to dry. Straight vinegar kills about 82% of mold spores and also prevents future mold from growing.